View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 03:50 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
But if he played poorly overall, then keeping play in the offensive zone isn't "making up for" anything. It's simply an asset that wasn't good enough to make him a net positive value player.

Hence the Martin example.
I don't think Lovejoy played poorly overall as a Penguin. He just has a bad habit of making unforced errors at inopportune times that stick in the back of fan's minds. I do think his ability to drive play is an asset of his, perhaps his only real redeeming one, and I find him quite suited for his current role.

Quote:
And yet clearly, they can be misleading. I think they are here, with Lovejoy as they were with Martin.
Before going any further we ought to acknowledge that the expectations for Martin and Lovejoy are worlds apart. One is expected to perform as a top pairing defender and the other is supposed to fill the role of serviceable 6th / 7th defenseman. What is considered adequate for a player of Lovejoy's stature probably isn't the same as the guy you're paying $5m a year to.

Quote:
I'm not sure Strait's departure is as inconsequential as you believe. Reliable depth defensemen can play a huge role in a team's success.
If there were anything but eye tests taken over a near meaningless sample size that showed Strait as a better defenseman than Lovejoy I'd be right there with you. I just don't see it.

Quote:
6'1" defensive defensemen with 13 games NHL experience don't exactly attract a lot of attention - I wouldn't use that as a fair indicator of his quality.
Teams spend way too much on scouting for fringe NHLers like Strait to go under the radar. There just wasn't enough to go on for other teams to take a leap of faith on him. I can't blame the Penguins for employing the same thought process and sticking with what they have.

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how he fares in NYI.
I'm sure I'll hear it on here every time he's on the ice for a goal.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote