Thread: Proposal: Sign and Trade:Oilers/Bruins
View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 07:09 AM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
First off, they don't have 6 guys to sign, they have a bunch of forward prospects who on a lesser team would probably already be in the NHL. Now I'm not saying they are world beaters but they are what look to be pretty good 2nd and 3rd liners and they make $875,000 per year and they will have 2 forward spots at most to fill if things stay the same. Adding one of those guys and signing Horton fills the forward roster.

On D they already have enough guys signed to play and be a 7th D if they add a prospect who makes $1 million or less and if Rask signs for $5 million that means that they would have somewhere between $4-5 million to sign Horton which isn't likely to be enough but it is enough for them to decide if Horton is the guy they want and if he is then maybe we start to see some other players moved out.

The amount of cap space they will need is not insurmountable, it is likely to be $1 million or less and they could get that by trading 4th liners and letting rookies play.

It just will come down to how badly they want to keep Horton, what has happened between now and then(trades, etc), and whether or not they think they have someone to replace him.

If they dealt a higher priced player such as Krejci it would open the door to a lot more than re-signing Horton.
Let me change the terminology I used. The $9.5M I quoted would be from 17 spots filled once you remove Savard. Actually it should be $10.4M because of the bonus cushion. An NHL roster is 23 players (You could get away with 22 for a short period but it won't be long before injuries force your hand.) As a result, they would have $10.4M to fill 6 roster spots.

You just spent $9M of that to fill two of those slots. You now have $1.4M left to fill 4roster spots and you had better hope you can play the year injury free.

I have actually wondered if they might trade Krejci given the depth on the wing and the fact that they have Seguin. This is the kind of thing I was asking about since I cannt see how the Bruins could keep both Rask and Horton without some kind of more significant roster move unless there is a major injury.

Last edited by Fourier: 01-20-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote