Thread: Proposal: TOR Rebuild
View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 08:56 AM
TOGuy14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I don't have a time machine, don't need one to justify what I posted anyways.

I used the word "likely" meaning that they could and I believe well *might* leave to free agency.

You guys have made the mistake of thinking that the word "likely" is an absolute statement of fact.

Had I meant that they will absolutely be leaving to free agency I would have said something to the effect of "the Leafs *will certainly* be losing all of these player to free agency" or something along those lines.

For not seeing that the Leafs might at least lose some or any of the players listed to free agency maybe you can enlighten me as to why you think that they might re-sign with TO. I see a team in TO that is missing a few critical pieces before they will be able to be considered a legitimate contender.

One is a first line center. Another is a goalie or at least you don't have one that has proven that they can be solid enough to lead you to the cup just yet. Along with a few holes on D that need to be filled.

So if you are a 29/30yo Lupul and you can see that your team is at least another year or so away from being a contender would you sign your big money UFA contract with them and gamble that they will be able to put something together that they haven't been able to in some time or would you go to a team that gives you a better more immediate chance of winning a cup?

Would you wait and see IF the Leafs can sign Perry, Getzlaf etc before you make a decision to stay? Maybe but more likely you will look out for your own best interests first.

The same argument can be used for the rest of your UFA's (for the most part). As for not seeing anything that makes you believe that your UFA's might leave well that's up to your own interpretation of things. Can you provide a link that says that they will for certain re-sign with the Leafs?

No, you can't.

Like I said, you have several key UFA's coming up this offseason and the next too. If you wait and hope that you can extend/re-sign them then you risk losing them for nothing too. Why take that risk when you have other holes to fill and a small group of talented young players that not only need ice time but also are the kind of players that are young and skilled enough to develop into your core?

Why not simply do what most every cup winning team does and that is continue to build solid young talent and depth through the draft and development? I don't see the Leafs winning a cup by hoping to retain players who are at the stage of their careers where they want to make large money and position themselves in the best possible way to win a cup (or one or the other).

If your plan is to continue on trying to hang on/re-sign all of your UFA's and hope pray think that you can fill your number one center position by backing up the armoured car to the best legitimate #1 center you can find and then do the same with a goalie D etc then why fire Burke?

Why not simply keep him and stay the path?

To me you have clear evidence that you plan on changing direction from the methodology of the Burke regime in the fact that you have A, changed your GM, B, dealt Lombardi for a pick and C, have moved on past Connolly. If your plan was to tread water again and hope that you can cash in on the next group of UFA's then why make any of the recent moves that the Leafs have?

My initial point is that to me it looks like the Leafs are going in the direction of a youth movement and I stand by it. I don't see any reason to think that any of your pending UFA's will stay in TO but they might. If they do though is there enough in TO for them to suddenly become contenders? It hasn't worked for a long time.
For one of the longest posts I have ever seen on HFboards, you provided very little sustenance to your initial remarks.

Outside of your long winded theories of the inner workings of a team of which you have zero connection to, you still haven't provided any links or sources to state that even ONE of our UFAs is planning to leave or unhappy with their current situation.

Lombardi and Connolly are your signs of change? Last week nobody on HFBoards wanted them, one gets traded the other gets waived and now all of our best players are just going to bail on the club? Looking at your other posts in other threads it is pretty clear you have an anti-leafs bias or pessimism pointed in their general direction

While Toronto does not have a good history of recently signing UFAs, please tell me the last star UFA in their prime who did not resign in Toronto? We have always retained our best players for as long as we want to keep them.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote