Thread: 80's parallels
View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 10:18 AM
DisgruntledGoat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
The Messier factor of someone who was bat**** crazy, strong as anyone in the league, never ever stopped, led like a Rommell or MacArthur and kept up the scoring with anyone not wearing 99 or 66 is something that is not inherent in ANY of our young guys.

I never got to see/appreciate him at his peak, just started understanding hockey really around '94. The closest things I've seen since are Forsberg and Toews, and realistically he was a hybrid of their best traits in my (perhaps romanticized childhood) view.

Also, I don't think any of them have shown the chops to become the best player of all time, unfortunately.
Sigh. Yep, there's no player like #11 in the league today. I thought Getzlaf might come close, but as good as he is, he's way too inconsistent.

The thing with Mess was that I don't think I ever saw him thrown off his game. Ever. He could skate with anyone, relished physical play, and if you tried to antagonize him, he'd throw a sneaky elbow and knock your teeth out. Even when he took suspensions, they always seemed to be cold and calculating, not of the, 'geez, he's losing it' variety.

I think Hall has a bit of that, in that his engine never stops. Bad teams, losong streaks, blowout games... He's always out there giving it his all. But Messier wouldn't leave himself vulnerable to big hits like Hall does. And obviously Hall doesn't have the mean streak- but you couldnt in today's game without getting banned from the league.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote