View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
Even though we probably missed Foligno's energy in that game, Methot's play was so impressive that it more than made up for it. You have to give something to get something, and we traded from an area of strength (forwards) to address a weakness that was created by Kuba's departure and the Brian Lee trade. But assuming Methot can play like this all the time, I make the trade even if we still have Kuba and Lee on the team. Just imagine:

Karlsson - Methot - Cowen - Kuba - Gonchar - Lee

with Phillips as your #7 (or switch him with Lee if you don't believe Phillips has regressed to the point of being a #7), and great depth in Bingo (Weir, Benoit, Gryba, Boro). Now that's an impressive defense, with a great mix of puck-moving talent and strength, experience and youth.

Given how thin our depth in defense is right now, Methot's play already appears to be critical to the success of the team this season.
The actual D weakness (if there's really one) was not created by Kuba's departure and the Brian Lee trade but by the Jared Cowen and Mike Lundin's injuries...

Methot replaces Kuba's role (less offense (well remains to be seen) but more physical and better defensively)

Lundin replaces Lee/Gilroy (I'd make that change 10/10 times)

Wiercioch replaces Cowen (because of injury. Only thing we have to "worry" about right now)

Borowiecki/Gryba replaces Carkner (less fighting ability but more mobility)

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
I like this. Its not Meth, but it'll do.
I'm going with Mark Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I hope he finds his consistency in Ottawa. He had some big games for us, but also some lulls. Foligno looked pretty good last night, the PP goal was a nice redirection. He can carve out some space in front of the net, thats for sure.

Maybe this is a win/win?
Of course... Most trades are win/win or loss/loss anyway... Only on HF, fans are so desperate to find a winner and/or a loser

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote