View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Well I was really asking about teams that lost in the finals. I think calling Detroit as the best team not to win the cup since the Oilers dynasty is not a stretch.
At that time in 2001 I think there are a trio of teams that can get the nod as "best team since the dynasty Oilers." Obviously the 2001 Avs, the back to back Wings and the back to back Penguins. Take your pick, you won't look silly picking either team.

I resented that 2001 Devils team. They came through on some overtime games against the Leafs that playoff and even though I hated them I still respected their game. Stevens was still laying out players that spring (Francis, Willis) and the Devils didn't really have a weakness as a team. That being said, they had a chance to win Game 6 at home and blew it. They were also playing a great team who were incredibly inspired with Bourque on the team. You can't fault them for losing but I would say that this team is probably the best losing team in the final in th 1990s and 2000s. Think about it, who are the losing final teams that come close?

1990 Boston
1995 Red Wings
2007 Sens
2008 Pens
2009 Red Wings
2011 Canucks

Very good case for the Devils to be the best team.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote