View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
With Price, Subban and Pacioretty entering their primes, the team should be OK for a while. Whether they will be a contender will depend on prospect development, management and luck.

If Galchenyuk becomes the player many think he will be, that's huge. If Gallagher takes another step forward and Hudon avoids injury, that's another couple of nice pieces. If Beaulieu can round out his game and find some consistency, that would also be big - otherwise, the team may need to add another top 3 dman.

Bergevin has sent mixed signals about when he thinks the team's window of opportunity will arrive. IMO the Prust signing was about filling a perceived need right now, possibly at the expense of the future. I'm not sure that Bergevin is thinking so much in terms of windows of contention, as much as plugging team needs as he sees them.

One advantage the Habs have over much of the league is money. Another is the fact that players generally seem to want to stay in Montreal once they are here. So, as long as Timmins is drafting and we don't trade away the next McDonagh, I think the team has a good chance of retaining enough core talent to eventually be very good, even if management is questionable.
There's a lot of 'ifs' there though. I think we can count on Price and Subban and to a lesser extent Max being worth building around. Galchenyuk also looks like a winner.

The question is though... is that enough? I like the D coming up but our forward pool looks pretty weak. After Galchenyuk it doesn't look all that exciting right now.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote