View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 02:24 PM
habsfanatics*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I'm not being disingenuous, that's the outline.

We already have Subban, Price, Eller, Emelin, Pacioretty, Gorges with the big club; and Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Collberg, Kristo, Leblanc as good prospects. Once those guys develop we'll have a bubble team at worst. It has an outside chance of being a legitimate contender all on its own, but only if everything goes right.

Add one more top-6 pick (Jones, Barkov, Lindholm, Drouin, MacKinnon, or Monahan), the three 2nd rounders we already have, and an additional 1st and 2nd rounder or equivalent in a very deep draft year and I'm convinced we have a solid nucleus to be legitimate contenders for several years.
Out of Tinordi, Beaulieu, Collberg, leblanc, kristo, there aren't more then 1 or 2 who will on the roster by 2013-2014, and they certainly won't be key contributors in their first season. If you deal away all the good veteran players just because of they're age, who are the good players going to be in 2013-2014. Are they going to fall from the sky?

We have a decent core, but way too many holes to be filled with our prospect depth that we have now and 1 more year in the tank isn't going to change that. Outside of the odd pick, most guys take at least 3 years to even crack the roster. Out of current guys, we have no legit top line prospects aside from Gally.

I'm all on your side for maximizing value and never letting an asset go to waste, like we did with Souray, Saku, komi, Tanguay and on and on. Those moves should have been made then, no doubt about it, but I think trading coles, pleks, ect now is not only unlikely to help a great deal, but guys like gally need some veteran presence to mature and show them how to be pros and pleks still has enough game imo to be part of the core moving forward.

There's no way we can complete a full rebuild in one year. We'll still be a fringe playoff team for years to come with this strategy. Although it may position us to become a contender 4, 5, 6 years down the road, but nothing you have suggested gets us there any quicker imo.