Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: Lupul re-signs with Toronto 5 years (5.25 average)
View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I like Lupul. Liked his dad more. He played for the Canucks.

Joffery has size, speed and skill . However, there has always been something missing, whether it be his focus or work ethic. He has been traded several times and that does not happen with players who are 'keepers' . Maybe once , but how many times has Lupul been traded ? More than one or 2.

But so what? If it makes Kessel happy then great right? Well, my issue is that Kessel may or may not even want to play in Toronto . If he does. Great.

But Lupul's contract is a pretty darn hefty cap hit for a guy who can tune out at any given moment . He doesnt exactly have the career history of someone who can consistently deliver.

Im not trying to 'rain' on the Leafs parade. I guess it was better than letting him walk for nothing. But I guess the whole 'rebuilding' schtick just went FLYING out the window.

Leafs commitment apparently isnt to 'youth' signing a winger at 30 to age 35. They are trying to win now.
Lupul is one of the hardest working Leafs. He is a great leader and leads by example on the ice. By all accounts he is a vocal leader who is great in the room.

Lupul has been traded because he actually has VALUE. In the Beauchemin deal, he didn't....Anaheim thought he was damaged goods. However, a player doesn't get traded for Pronger TWICE because he is not a "keeper". Do you think Edmonton and Anaheim brought in Lupul in those deals because he had problems? Its because they saw value in him.

Quote:
Well, my issue is that Kessel may or may not even want to play in Toronto . If he does. Great.
Kessel may or may not want to play in Toronto? Tremendous insight!

Quote:
He doesnt exactly have the career history of someone who can consistently deliver.
He also doesn't have the career history of someone who has been given sufficient chances to consistently deliver. He does now.

As a Leafs fan I'm pretty darn happy with locking up Lupul long term. He is a true warrior and a good leader.

Quote:
Leafs commitment apparently isnt to 'youth' signing a winger at 30 to age 35. They are trying to win now.
That's a really weird conclusion to make. Who, please tell me, is Lupul keeping from a roster spot? Is there some top line winger that the Leafs have in the system that is knocking down the doors? I'm not aware of one. Being committed to youth, is a dumb strategy, and I don't even think that's what Nonis ever even said. The idea is to commit to THE youth that you have, and if THEY earn an opportunity, then you make room for them. There is no prospect that the Leafs own that is even CLOSE to challenging for Joffrey Lupul's position with the team.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote