View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 02:34 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Out of Tinordi, Bealieu, Collberg, leblanc, kristo, there aren't more than 1 or 2 who will on the roster by 2013-2014, and they certainly won't be key contributors in their first season. If you deal away all the good veteran players just because of they're age, who are the good players going to be in 2013-2014. Are they going to fall from the sky?

We have a decent core, but way too many holes to be filled with our prospect depth that we have now and 1 more year in the tank isn't going to change that. Outside of the odd pick, most guys take at least 3 years to even crack the roster. Out of current guys, we have no legit top line prospects aside from Gally.

I'm all on your side for maximizing value and never letting an asset go to waste, like we did with Souray, Saku, komi, Tanguay and on and on. Those moves should have been made then, no doubt about it, but I think trading coles, pleks, ect now is not only unlikely to help a great deal, but guys like gally need some veteran presence to mature and show them how to be pros and pleks still has enough game imo to be part of the core moving forward.

There's no way we can complete a full rebuild in one year. We'll still be a fringe playoff team for years to come with this strategy. Although it may position us to become a contender 4, 5, 6 years down the road, but nothing you have suggested gets us there any quicker imo.
Even if we compete the rebuild in one year from this point forward it's not a 1-year rebuild. Gauthier did a semi-tank in 2011-2012: he got three additional 2nd rounders, he got Patrick Holland which in my mind is equivalent to a 2nd rounder, he reduced the long-term salary cap by 6 million, and we drafted Alex Galchenyuk. Lafleurs is correct that this was not planned and could have been done better, but whatever, it's a good start.

I am for trading veterans but I am not for trading all the veterans. First of all I don't think there's the demand in the trade market for all the veterans, but even if there was, we could easily refill our cupboards in the UFA market with our 28 million dollars in cap space.

I list six veterans on the teams now: Markov, Plekanec, Cole, Gionta, Bourque, Kaberle. Bergevin should test the trade market demand for all of them, and at the end of the day sell the 1 or 2 for which we can get great value. If we can sell three or four of them, great ! but I doubt it so the point is moot. You say that 1 or 2 of the prospects I listed will make the roster in 2013-2014, ok, good, so that's one or two fewer veterans on the team.

If we get draft picks for the six veterans above rather than letting them all walk for nothing, we'll have additional complementary (maybe even core) players during out stanley cup contention window of 2015-2018.

I think Galchenyuk will make us a better team in 2013-2014. I think at least one of our big three defensive prospects (Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis) will contribute in a secondary capacity -- we only need 1 in the short-term. I think whoever we draft top-6 this year has a good shot of contributing in a secondary capacity.