P.K Subban Thread 4.0 - Still Unsigned Edition
View Single Post
01-20-2013, 02:49 PM
the random dude
Join Date: Jan 2010
Originally Posted by
If I was Bergevin, I would definitely not move. I mean, they've had months and months to determine what they think Subban's value is. If I think he's worth a $2.5M bridge deal, for whatever reason, then that's the deal I'm offering. And there's no amount of PK not playing or the Habs losing games that can ever change that. About the only thing that could ever change it is an RFA offer sheet. Meehan can negotiate all day, Subban can sit all season, and my position is my position. That's my strength as the General Manager on display.
That said, of course I personally think Subban is worth waaaay more than Bergevin apparently does.
I don't see anything to be gained by waiting from the players' pov. PK should reset to a 1-year deal, get on the ice, and file for arbitration in the summer. It's still going to be money and a chance to get a more fair hearing of his value.
I agree with this, the both of them have boxed themselves into this situation without any help from the other side or anybody else. Unless the two sides can bridge their differences amicably it almost seems destined to end up in a trading situation whether right away or a year or two down the road.
I don't like those 1 year deals, it's just kicking the can down the road. If there was a full season to negotiate a long-term deal and good faith on both sides I might go for it but for now, no.
Subban decision to hire Meehan got the ball rolling and if he wants to stay in Montreal he should rethink that idea.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Frozenice