View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loto68 View Post
Most of Chamberlain's numbers are crap. For example the guy played every single minute of every game during that 50 points per game season. If his numbers were normalized to 36 minutes per game like the vast majority of starters play (even 40 minutes per game is beyond rare) his numbers are human. Also remember that Chamberlain was about 6 inches taller than the average center of his era.
You can't take physical size and use that as a fault. Also, Wayne played in an era where 2min shifts were common, so playing time is a non-factor as well. I'd still put Wayne ahead of Wilt, but those are bad arguments.

There's so many factors in this, and stats are only a part. I'd go with:

1) Babe Ruth absolute #1, as I mentioned earlier. Like Phil said, he's a HOF pitcher, then hits more home runs than an entire team does.

2) Mike Tyson. For his short peak, he was absolutely unbeatable until personal stuff got in the way.

3) Wayne Gretzky, or could be Orr. Wayne's offensive numbers were sick, but a defenseman winning the Art Ross is just as impressive. Take your pick on that one. Neither is wrong.

I'm not a fan of soccer, football is too much reliant on the team, maybe Richard Petty but I don't think that's a sport in the traditional sense.

One more to add, but don't know where to place him, Jim Thorpe. Guy pretty much won any physical event handily. 2 maybe and drop the rest down one? I dunno.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote