Thread: Proposal: Murray for Tarasenko=
View Single Post
01-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Ya Ma Goo!
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I completely disagree with that.

Hall and Seguin were on a different level from Tarasenko in his draft year. It's understandable that Blues fans are at a fever pitch about the kid and they are way high on him. However, they need to give it time before proclaiming him the next Malkin or savior of the franchise. That's completely premature. He may have jumped ahead a few spots, but I'm convinced Columbus would have stuck with Johansen, Florida would have stuck with Gudbranson, Boston with Seguin, and Edmonton with Hall. After all the problems that Russians have caused Columbus, there's no way he would have been drafted 4th.

One of the major positives for Murray is the fact that he is already very far in his development. This is only a minor bump and is no more significant than Yakupov and Galchenyuk's injuries last year. It doesn't affect his value, especially to the Blue Jackets. If someone is to ask for Murray, they need to assume that his value is that he's the 2nd best player in the 2012 draft and hasn't gone down because that's how Scott Howson views it.
The top 5 thing comes from a quote from Jarmo Kekilianen at the time. Something along the lines of, 'If his name was Mike Smith, he'd be considered for top 5.' In all fairness, I'd be willing to bet the Islanders would trade Nino Niederreiter (top 5 pick) for Tarasenko.

While I understand that there is no reason for the Blue Jackets to value Murray less because of his injury, it does play a factor for teams with a limited competitive window. The Blues need players that can contribute NOW. Not in a year or two. That is why the Blues wouldn't ask for a guy like Murray. If anything, we would be interested in Tyutin. A big, physical, left handed defensemen who is already developed and can contribute right away is much more appealing to the Blues currently than a long term option that might not be ready for a while.