View Single Post
Old
12-13-2003, 12:24 PM
Burkey

vCash: 500
Vancouver / Los Angeles Trade Proposal

To Vancouver: Ian Laperriere (RW/C) and Yanick Lehoux (C)
Laperriere's Vital Information
SALARY: $900,000 (source: nhlpa.com)
CONTRACT STATUS: RFA after this season
SIZE: 6'1, 200 lbs
STATS: 20 GP, 0 G, 6 A, 6 PTS (source: tsn.ca)

Lehoux's Vital Information
SALARY: unknown
CONTRACT STATUS: unknown
SIZE: 6'0, 200 lbs
STATS: 25 GP, 6 G, 13 A, 19 PTS for Manchester of the AHL

To Los Angeles: Jarkku Ruutu (LW/RW) and R.J. Umberger (C)
Ruutu's Vital Information
SALARY: $575,000 (source: nhlpa.com)
CONTRACT STATUS: until 2004-05 season*
SIZE: 6'2, 200 lbs
STATS: 24 GP, 1 G, 1 A, 2 PTS (source: tsn.ca)

Umberger's Vital Information
SALARY: UNSIGNED
CONTRACT STATUS: UNSIGNED
SIZE: 6'2, 200 lbs
STATS: HAS NOT PLAYED

* - Disclaimer: I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out the length of Ruutu's contract, but was unable to find anything definite. According to canucksworld.com, he's believed to have signed a 2 year deal last summer, which means he's signed through until the summer of 2005.

REASONING:

The Los Angeles Kings do this deal because Laperriere is a free agent at the end of the season. With the rule in place that allows guys with ten years of professional experience and a salary below the league average to become unrestricted free agents, Laperriere could be lost for nothing. The CBA also could bring in a lower unrestricted free agency age, which means there's a good chance that Laperriere could leave Los Angeles as a free agent. Why lose him for nothing? Might as well trade him, although admittedly LA has managed to prevent guys like Norstrom and Miller from leaving as UFAs. They get one of the peskiest agitators in the NHL in Ruutu. Ruutu will never score much and is prone to bad penalties, but if they had him AND Sean Avery, they could drive opponents insane. Ruutu had a good playoff for the Canucks last season and is a valuable role player. Umberger is a fine prospect, but his uncertain contract status lowers his value. He had a big year last year for Ohio State, earning All-American second team honors and was considered a candidate for the Hobey Baker. He has a good set of wheels, can handle the puck well and proved he can score in the clutch with 8 game winners last year in the CCHA.

The Canucks do this deal because, IMO, they aren't going at full steam and need a minor deal to shake things up a bit. This deal would give them a veteran warrior in Laperriere who is a good penalty killer who plays a physical brand of hockey and works hard. He's a leader and would be a good playoff player for the Canucks. Lehoux can score goals, and that's something that the Canucks don't have much of in the pipeline. He does need to upgrade his defensive play, but he's playing well in the AHL and looks like a potential NHLer. Umberger could be lost for nothing (except a compensatory draft pick), so the Canucks might as well move him for SOMETHING, no matter what Brian Burke says. In fact, I don't think that Brian Burke is unwilling to trade him. He's just saying he isn't so Umberger perhaps lowers his demand. Smart strategy, but this kid probably sees through that. In any case, I think Umberger could be moved and I think this would be a good return for him and Ruutu.

Thoughts? I know that it probably need some reworking, but is it doable?

Last edited by Burkey: 12-13-2003 at 12:29 PM.