View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Boudreau has been one of Rakell's most vocal fans. That being said, if you're expecting a coach to trust a 19 year old in his first game, you're dreaming. Unless a rookie is an absolute phenom, you're just not going to see that type of trust in the first game(especially when there was a shortened training camp and no pre-season games... Rakell hasn't had an opportunity to earn that type of trust). It would be even tougher for Rakell on the 4th line, because he isn't exactly surrounded by top end talent who could make up for any of his mistakes.

I think you have a tendency to jump to conclusions based on stats, because you're unable to see the player. In this case, I think you're jumping to a conclusion based on 10 minutes of ice time, but as bumperkisser said those were all even strength minutes, and that's actually pretty decent for a rookie in his first game. It certainly doesn't suggest Boudreau doesn't trust him. Just that he's easing him in, which is smart coaching.

Then, with all due respect, you made your point poorly. Holland may be the better choice for that spot, and I expect Holland will get a chance to show what he's capable of against Calgary. However, if Boudreau picks Rakell over Holland it's not going to be because Holland sucks. It will be because Rakell earned it in Boudreau's eyes. Suggesting that Holland would need to suck to lose it takes any credit away from Rakell.
So what motivation Bruce have to keep him up? If he can`t handle it, then he have to go to the juniors, especially in this shortened season when every mistake is 2 times worse.

I made my guess just because he played the least minutes in the game (Ducks players only), also on even strenght. I`m not saying that 10 minutes are bad, not sure where you got that.
I was saying that, compared to others, he wasn`t really tested much. So i thought that if Bruce is limiting him in a decided game, Rakell will have much less minutes in a game that`s really tight. So, there`s no point for keeping him up if he plays few minutes a game, he needs more ice time, he`s only 19. So, i think that 4C role is Hollands to loose, even after the game.