View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
From another thread:

With that said, what I see now in Columbus is a team finally making good moves.

After the debacle of the Jeff Carter acquisition, they traded him for Jack Johnson and a 1st, which is a good trade for them (also a good trade for LA). They also dealt Rick Nash for a package that includes Anisimov (young secondary player), Erixon (bluechip prospect) and a 1st rounder. They acquired bluechip dman Ryan Murray in the draft last year, and are a good shot to draft top-6 this year.

Columbus may finally be moving in the right direction. After years of trying to make the playoffs they have a different philosophy, and are now trying to rebuild. They may be one of the elite western conference teams 3 or 4 years down the line. However, much like Edmonton circa 2009, they have several bad contracts that may be unloadable, and thus they may be forced to wait.

And that would be good news. I lived in Columbus for five years. It's fertile ground for a hockey market and it does have some fans, they just need to see a winning team for a few seasons. The Ohio State Buckeyes are king there, they get 101,500 fans a game (yes, 101,000 fans) in attendance and they go 11-1 or 12-0 every year... but I think there's room for another team.
The Carter trade was brutal for Columbus. Johnson pretty much has negative value (he literally can't play defense on even strength) and that 1st isn't nearly strong enough compensation for a forward of Carter's ilk.

He went on a little hot streak after the trade but little sign he'll be sustainably good.

They probably should have dealt Carter if he wasn't happy with the org, but the return was brutal.