Old
01-20-2013, 08:37 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Wouldn't you expect to get at least as many points from the B group of forwards as the A group? Everyone is talking about the huge loss of Whitney. His 77pts, Langkow's 30, Pyatt's 19 and we will call POS 19 (which is generous given his 4 in 23). This gives you 145 in an 82game season-ish. Let's look at group B from the perspective of 82 games (for simplicity's sake). I'll go very conservative, here. 40 from Sullivan, 45 from Vermette, 30 from Lombardi and 30 from Moss. Gives you 145. The defense is fairly obviously superior.
Just playing devils advocate a bit here, I think you can make the argument that Whitney is effectively a game breaker. Someone who can reliably pierce even the best defenses and make passes to guys like Vrbata.

When you bundle up Lombardi, Sullivan, Moss and even Vermette you have basically a bag of crap from a bad trade proposal.
But if you look at team A, you can say Whitney is going to elevate the game of the rest of the team and will be a force other teams have to gameplan around. The Coyotes do not have such a forward right now.

Personally I think Whitney's contributions were important, but a tad overrated. I base this on the experience of the 09-10 team which was also excellent, and it had the same "problem" our current team B has.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote