Thread: Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread
View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 10:29 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

vCash: 500
Just came back home after watching MacKinnon and Drouin dangle around the Armada. Would've liked to see Matteau but whatever, watching those two was well worth the ticket.

You can see that MacKinnon is a level better then everyone else. He spins off of checks so fast and so easily, which makes him a force cause he's always a step ahead of his checker. He's real strong on his skates but doesn't have the most fluent of strides and that can be worked on very easily, so it's no concern really. He's a very solid player and reminds me of Parise with more of a scoring touch. He's always on the puck or involved in the play, plays the PP and the PK (with Drouin), plays a physical game (more then ZP of course) and is just relentless on the forecheck.

Drouin probably had some family in the stands cause he played like he was giving a show today. Like MacKinnon, he's a level over everyone else. He has one of the sickest hands I've seen in a while and he has this knack to freeze everyone when he has the puck on his stick. The defence doesn't want to charge cause they'll get humiliated and if they sit back, he eats them alive with accurate passes. He deked 5 different players, 3 times... in the same move. It was a toe drag to the outside, came back threw the legs of the defender, braked and tried to go around him again. He also came in the zone real slow, deked two guys and was in a prime shooting area but tried to deked the goalie instead of shooting and the puck jumped on him. He was dangling like crazy but turned the puck over a little more then I'd like, mostly cause he was "over deking", but the fans were going crazy so He continued to play along (even the Armada fans sitting next to me were going crazy). If I had to compare Drouin, I'd say Patrick Kane with more grit and sandpaper to his game... Maybe a mix of Kane and Giroux.

As much as I think MacKinnon will be the better individual player out of the two, I think I'd prefer Drouin over him. Drouin will make whoever he's with look like a solid player, MacKinnon is more of a "one man show". For each his own I guess.

Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 01-20-2013 at 10:40 PM.