View Single Post
Old
01-20-2013, 10:53 PM
BraveCanadian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
So basically you are completely ignoring what I said and are saying I'm wrong. Nothing you said had any baring on anything I said.
You weren't just bringing up the team argument double standard in every Bourque vs. Lidstrom comparison?

ie. When Bourque struggles it is because his team was too weak and he had too much to do so we excuse it. When Lidstrom succeeds, we give him an asterisk in comparison to Bourque because he had a good team and therefore must have had an easier time.

It has to be one of those two to be a fair comparison.

And I say this as someone who would pick Bourque by a hair.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen a dozen Bourque vs. Lidstrom threads go that way already, so if I misinterpreted that then I apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
All of Detroit's key players have been not quite as good for the last three years, this isn't something that's just going to kick into gear now. Since their last finals team, they've lost 2 other defensemen from the top 4 of that team without really replacing them, and several other role players are gone too.
Yes the team is worse overall as well, but you simply can't be serious that losing a guy who won the Norris two years ago isn't going to be a major factor in their fortunes this year.

Even if it was a close call Norris.

Quote:
I guess it remains to be seen how their season bears out, but I think that if we somehow froze a 39 year old Lidstrom and kept him on the Red Wings forever, they'd still be worse now than they were 3 seasons ago, and even worse this season.
My prediction is they are going to be a much worse team this year than even last year when a 41 year old Lidstrom missed 12 games.

Detroit's rise and decline pretty much exactly mirrors Lidstrom hitting his stride and fading away personally.

He was the common factor across all those contending teams.

Anyways I am still tired of Bourque vs. Lidstrom from the last go around.. someone draft someone!