View Single Post
Old
01-21-2013, 12:57 AM
  #497
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
No you quoted me about my reading comprehension in regard to him being offered 1 million per, which he clearly would not be.
I quoted you about your reading comprehension because you clearly did not, nor do you now, comprehend what he wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
And no I am not paid what I am worth, most people aren't in REAL life, That is also a strawman argument as there is no comparison of Hockey Players to people that have jobs that do something other than entertain. Do you think you could live on 3.75 million? DO you think the habs wouldn't give him that if that is would agree to 3.75? I don't see almost 4 million as a low ball contract. And you also have no idea what they are offering, what if the habs are offering 5 and he isn't signing? WHat then is your repsonse. My point is, IF he wants huge money he needs to keep in mind that other contracts need to be signed or he will continue to play with weber, diaz st dennis etc. If tinordi looks good for two years and plays well with subban should he also earn 4 million or so. We either go with a lot of good players or a few great players and barely spare parts, cap era reality.
Okay Mr. Reading Comprehension, what I'm going to do is try to organize this rambling into a coherent thought, and then I'll address it point by point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
And no I am not paid what I am worth, most people aren't in REAL life
Most people are paid pretty close to market value for what they can do in relation to what every one else can do. Most people feel like they aren't making enough, particularly unskilled labour, or manual labour. Demographics widely affected by the Dunning-Kruger effect. This wouldn't describe you, would it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
That is also a strawman argument as there is no comparison of Hockey Players to people that have jobs that do something other than entertain. Do you think you could live on 3.75 million? DO you think the habs wouldn't give him that if that is would agree to 3.75? I don't see almost 4 million as a low ball contract.
You don't know what a strawman is. I imagine you just heard that on Hannity, thought it sounded good, and ran with it. I didn't falsely characterize your position and proceed to beat it up, I asked a question about a statement that you made.

Whether I think I could live on 3.75 million, or whether PK would have an amazing standard of living on that salary is irrelevant to the situation. The question is whether he is being paid reasonably with respect to what he's accomplished so far. I think that 3.75 million is low, by about 750 k, to 1.25mill per annum. This is based on the standards established by the market. It's true that Subban doesn't have direct access to the market, but if you push your luck with RFA's, it will backfire on you, sooner or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
And you also have no idea what they are offering, what if the habs are offering 5 and he isn't signing? WHat then is your repsonse.
Nor do you. The big difference is that I haven't assumed anything in my position. You have made one of two assumptions: that PK's offer was unreasonable, or that MB's offer was reasonable, and Subban's reaction thereto was unreasonable. If it came out that PK was indeed holding out for Doughty money, I would reevaluate my
position. I wonder what you would do if it came out that PK was indeed being lowballed. Probably some trite ******** about "playing for the team," or other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
My point is, IF he wants huge money he needs to keep in mind that other contracts need to be signed or he will continue to play with weber, diaz st dennis etc. If tinordi looks good for two years and plays well with subban should he also earn 4 million or so. We either go with a lot of good players or a few great players and barely spare parts, cap era reality.
My point is that you have nothing that even bears the slightest resemblance to evidence that Subban is asking for a contract that would preclude MB being able to make these signings to which you are referring.

...you know, but don't let that stop you.

NotProkofievian is online now