Thread: Thomas Pock
View Single Post
Old
06-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Laugh away, Darth...

and I too watch every game. Funny how we can see it differently. I don't want him to be a Phaneuf type of player - correct that, I don't think he needs to be in order to be a successful NHL player. But when I see him in the defensive zone losing the majority of the battles and not handling the puck well under pressure, I comment. When not under pressure, and when in the open ice skating with or without the puck, and in the offensive zone, he is quite good. But as I've mentioned before, I don't think that goodness is enough to make up for his lack of defense. There is a balance and even offenseman need to handle the puck better in their own zone and win the battles. Can he improve? Quite possibly, but this is what I saw last year, and this is what I saw two seasons ago, and this is what I saw in Hartford.

I clarified what I meant by 'thrown around' later - in saying 'won little battles, was easily manhandled, and lost control of the puck when pressured' - my comment was not intended to mean the guy was tossed around like a rag doll.

And honestly, I cannot even remember the mistake everyone talks about. That's not even in my mind since all Rangers defensemen made big mistakes, and some more than others.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote