View Single Post
Old
01-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Speed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
This is actually pretty good news. I just don't think NHL teams need strict "enforcers" anymore as they're absolutely useless way more often then not. Player has to be able to do more then just fight.

Pelech is a good defensive player, can kill penalties, hits like a truck and can fight. I don't know that he'll ever be a regular NHLer but like you, I think his best chance is as a 4th liner.

On a side note, after a couple of iffy shifts Irwin had a very good game yesterday. He looked very comfortable next to Boyle, moved the puck well, played simple defense and didn't make many mistakes. The coaches obviously trusted him as he led the team in even strength minutes.
Pelech on D was scary enough - you could see the opposition putting on the brakes when they saw Pelech at the blue line. His first game at forward was a memorable one. He had 2 HUGE bonecrushing checks - both legal, and it should have drawn 2 instigating penalties on the Phantoms who jumped him after the fact. After that - EVERYONE on the ice had their head on a swivel with Pelech out there. I like the move, and it should give him a chance to move up to the NHL if he continues what he did for this one game.

Good to hear on Irwin. He's not going to be flashy, but can get the job done. I'm sure that's all anyone is looking for at this point.