View Single Post
Old
01-21-2013, 10:18 AM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Minnesota was 30th in scoring. From December 8th until the end of the year, they won 17 of 54 games and were the worst team in the NHL by a long shot. They finished over 80 goals behind Vancouver in even strength goal differential.

Adding Parise/Suter/a rookie does not take a team from cellar to challenging the repeat president trophy winners. The Penguins added Lemieux/Crosby after the last lockout and still finished last.
A few biases in the way you wrote this

1 - You're only talking about Minnesotas second half of the season. The first half they were one of the best teams. You can't just isolate the parts that support your argument. The biggest sample size we have from last year is 82 games, and over 82 games Minnesota got 81 points and finished 12th.

2 - Penguins added Lemieux. That's your argument? Lemieux put up 22 points that year... Adding Crosby to a dead last team isn't the same as adding Suter/Parise/Granlund to a 12th place team

3 - Vancouver was 18-5-1 against the NW last season...the division they had their best record in, which also happens to be the division they had the most games in. Yes, they were (and are) a good team, but the Presidents trophy was essentially the byproduct of eating up a terrible division. NYR for example had to play against Pittsburgh, NJ, and Philly in their division, all playoff teams. Put NYR in the SE division last year, and how many points do they get?

4- Not to mention Kesler/Booth are out.

And like I said. I think Vancouver should win the division, I just wouldn't be surprised to see Minnesota take it.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote