View Single Post
Old
01-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
The problem with Perreault and ice time is versatility. He's a finesse center. He's not particularly useful at wing and he's not particularly useful as a checking line player. He doesn't slot in just anywhere. That means the fourth line, when they are healthy.

Perreault is very nice to have on the roster when the Capitals have an injury at #1 or #2 center. He can plug a hole.

If the Caps are not going with three offense lines, then it's difficult for him to get ice time unless the Caps are rolling their lines. For one of the few times this season, the Caps had two days off after game #1, so Oates didn't roll out all his lines. He played the top three lines, and used the fourth to spell the others.

PP time went elsewhere as well. Really, the addition of Ribeiro made Perreault's chances of a breakout year very remote, because that's the only role (#2 center) he can play other than #4 center, on a team using a checking/cycling line.

I was pleasantly surprised with Perreault last year, but I wouldn't slot him above either of Ribeiro or Backstrom. There will be injuries and I am sure they will need him at some point.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote