Old
01-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
They're not kids, and both got top6 minutes last year. If they're going to step in and wilt, I'm not sure another year in GR would change that. I also don't think another year in GR will lessen the learning curve or the ups and downs of their rookie seasons.

If they were 18 year olds making the jump from some junior league, I'd agree with you. But Nyquist is 23 and excelled in a full season at GR last year, and Tatar's 22 with three full seasons playing against men in the AHL under his belt. These guys are ready.
Let me preface this by saying I do not agree with how Holland has constructed this roster. But it seems like Holland is more worried about overall depth and has been since 2009 when he sent down Helm, Leino and Ericsson. Holland believes that if he doesn't sign the Bertuzzi's and Samuelsson's while keeping Nyquist and Tatar in the minors that he runs the risk of having an injury and not having a suitable replacement available.

But Holland is way behind the times here and I believe it's all on Holland - Babcock wants these guys up but he's got the 35+ club as his only real choice. No other team is doing this, every other team is getting the most out of their kids contractually and skill wise. Philly plays 18 year olds and so does Pittsburgh. Holland's system was great pre-cap - not so much anymore.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote