View Single Post
Old
01-21-2013, 12:42 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
If O'Reilly is not scoring he is helping the team in other ways. If Stastny and Duchene are not producing offensively they are not good for anything.

To me it is ridiculous to give Jones a 4x4 deal, and not give it to O'Reilly who is a much more important player to this team.

It is embarassing for this team to not come to terms with your 22yo leading scorer when you have one of the lowest payrolls in the league.
while i don't think Jones should be getting 4 mil a season. he is more in line with that salary than O'Reilly.
i love ROR, but he's had 1 good season out of 3. he's gritty, he plays a complete game and he's improving well.
but he for damn sure should not make more the EJ,Duchene or Stas(obviously the Stas one won't happen).
i get the agent asking for the most he can but the 5 mil number should be thrown in the trash, few teams would give him that at this juncture of his career.

3.5-4.25 mil(and really it should be 3.0-3.5) is his market rate and where the Avs wouldn't be overpaying to keep him.
if he continues to improve and produce 70 point seasons moving forward then he will be well worth 4 mil or better, but if he regresses or goes back to 26-30 point season he'll be a bad contract given his pay grade.