View Single Post
Old
01-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Carelton CA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
True it was noticeable. However it was very noticeable that the third period is when they looked best and after watching the whole game last night, it was evident that their best shifts were when the Canucks were focussing clearly on offense.
And there's no question that IMO their ice time was increased due to the lead later in the game. They were simply bad in first IMO and subpar in second.

Now that said I would like to see Rakell get more games. However I don't see his play as of game 1 being anywhere close to being able to stay. I personally would like to see tonight's 4th line be Beleskey-Holland-Rakkel. See what that line could do.

I also think the decision on whether to keep Rakkel up should have nothing to do with outplaying other 4th liners. It simply be whether he's ready or not. I personally did not like the decision last year to keep DSP up because it seemed to me that it was made because he was best option at the time. If he's ready fine but if he's simply just outplaying DSP, then send Rakkel back to juniors and send DSP to AHL and either call up someone else or sign a 4th liner. I don't want Rakkel rushed because of lack of options.
If Rakell tops out this year as a 4th line center, he should not stay all year. He's a 1st round pick who I guess is a projected #2 or #3. Holland is less of a 4th line center than Rakell however. Peter is a top 2 guy with amazing touch and mits, as proven in Norfolk, he's not a guy that you trust as a checking center.

DSP I'm not getting at this point. He was pretty bad in Norfolk on the D end and was one of the PK guys but definitely not the primary guy. Lets try Rakell on the wing with Holland and Beleskey or DSP, Holland and Rakell before we decide to send him Rakell back. Remember there is far less flexibility with Rakell this year if he stays, just like DSP last year. If he stays, he's here all 48 and whether it's the right place for him or not. I personally think the hurt DSP last year and it's showing this year.

I would like to see Etem, Maroon and Wagner get some time in Anaheim this year in a role that they project to down the road. Etem as a 2nd or 3rd line wing, Maroon a 2nd or 3rd line wing and Wagner a 3rd or 4th line center.