View Single Post
Old
01-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
If Avs management isn't willing to commit to O'Reilly at this point, then there's no point

Every draft pick, every trade, every free agent acquisition, and every contract extension is a gamble. There's calculated risk with every single one. If the Avs are going to be this freaking cautious with every one of their players, they're NEVER going to be a winner again.

I'll reiterate that I don't think the 5-year offer reportedly on the table for O'Reilly is "unfair," but I don't think he's being classless by asking for more. I hope the two sides can find some middle ground, but if the Avs are seriously just gonna stand there and not budge, they're being ridiculous. That's conjecture on my part, based on what I've read.

Frankly, O'Reilly and his agent likely know that they've got the Avs by the proverbial balls in this negotiation. He is, IMO, the team's best player, but if you want to argue that he's at least the team's best two-way forward. He's also the team's best penalty killer...and it should be noted that the team's other best penalty killer now plays for the Leafs. Not saying that completely justifies O'Reilly's position, but the Avs don't have the high ground here. The Avs will be at the bottom of the league standings if they take as many penalties as they took the other night and fail to kill those penalties like they did last night.