View Single Post
Old
01-21-2013, 02:00 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Subban is a good player, but he is not a dman you give up 4 first rounders for. The Canadians wouldn't match if they were getting 4 first rounders back.
Keep in mind, offering Paajarvi, Klefbom, and a 1st is giving up 3 first rounders. One of which being a top 10 selection.

Maybe I wouldn't send a "4 1sts" offersheet to PK, but that's only because of how much you'd have to pay him in order for the compensation to be that many 1st rounders, not because of the picks.

I wouldn't give up our last 4 1st round picks for Subban, but if you look at it this way, the Oilers likely aren't a last place team this year. With Subban (and no subractions), they're probably a playoff team. Heck, they're probably in the playoff conversation this year too. If you look at a team that wasn't a playoff team, but not lottery bad, look at what you're talking about for compensation for Subban.

Carolina (14,27,7,12 overall): Boychuk, Paradis, Skinner, Murphy
Buffalo (13,23,16,12 overall): Kassian, Pysyk, Armia, Grigorenko
Minnesota (7,10,9,16 overall): Dumba, Brodin, Grandlund, Leddy
Tampa Bay (2,6,27,10 overall: Hedman, Connolly, Namestnikov, Koekkoek
Rangers (19,10,15,28 overall): Kreider, McIlrath, Miller, Skjei
Montreal (18,22,17,3 overall): Lablanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk

There's definitely some quality there, but aside from the teams that had 2nd and 3rd overall selections in there, there aren't many players I wouldn't include in a deal for Subban. Especially when you're talking about players who are up to 4 years from being drafted, let alone making the NHL in any meaningfull capacity.