View Single Post
Old
01-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Not saying our blueline wouldn't look like ****. Just because a guy is irreplaceable doesn't mean that we should sign him to a crazy deal.

Is Letang a legitimate #1? He isn't this team's go to on the penalty kill, and if we had any semblance of a PPQB, he wouldn't be this team's go to on the powerplay. He's not a PPQB as I've said before.

What he is is a great top pairing defenseman, IMO, who can play in all game situations, but is at his best as a 5-on-5 puck moving defenseman.

A #1 is a guy like Weber, Lidstrom, or Chara. Minute munchers in every single situation, albeit, Lidstrom in his last few years was used less on the PK to keep him fresh.

I'm not saying to lowball the guy, but let's keep in perspective what he actually does. 5.75 over 8 years would put him in the top 15 of the league in salaries for defensemen. He'd be paid as a #1 technically, and honestly, 5.75 is paying the guy for potential still also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Letang is not someone you replace. I know we have a plethora of defenders in the making, but a very small group in the NHL play like Letang. I think a guy like Karlsson is slightly below Letang and he got 6.5. That's not a dig at Karlsson, either. The fact Suter got as much as he did... Letang deserves every penny he makes.

We have to be praying he wants to stay in Pittsburgh. If Letang is financially smart, he SHOULD test free agency. I just hope Pittsburgh can do whatever it takes to keep him.

I know you can't keep everyone, but Geno, Sid, Letang, and Neal are guys we need to keep around.
It's not about how easily replaceable he is or isn't. A cap team isn't in a position to overpay guys and still contend. And Letang is not a #1D. He is a very good all around top pairing guy, and is our #1 only because we don't have someone better. He's not a shutdown guy, and he's not really a top PPQB. He's a mix of both, yet excels at neither. I'm not sure how you can compare him to guys that are not comparables (Suter, Weber, Chara, etc). Karlsson is probably a closer comparison. Or maybe Pietrangelo, and I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I'm not sure how you can say that Letang is better than Karlsson. Karlsson just came off of a 78 pt season and a Norris win. Yes Letang would have been close in points had he not been hurt... but that's it... close. I think Karlsson's defensive game is weak (and certainly weaker than Letangs), but his offensive game is better than Letangs.

Would the Pens be in a rough place without Letang? Yes to an extent. But go look at Carolina's cup roster (probably the most recent win without a #1 (or even a top pairing D)). Or look at the Rangers or New Jerseys D? My point being it's not impossible to assemble a quality team and blueline and have success without a legit #1 D.