View Single Post
Old
01-21-2013, 04:55 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
JTG.. you know I usually agree with you and at least respect you are making valid points, but it's simple here. Letang is a #1 and does so much for the Pens. I won't argue point totals. You know that doesn't even come into my mind. He's a legit #1 and I somehow find myself wondering how this discussion is even coming to be. If you ranked him in a tier system, he'd probably be in the 2nd tier while guys like Chara/Weber take over #1.

I mean think about it. Didn't Jordan Staal just get 10 years 80M? Didn't Karlsson just get 6.5 per? Look what the market is doing. He's worth a huge chunk of change to keep. Paying a defender 5M to get Martin, Z, someone like that is not worth it when you can have Letang for 2M more.
Letang is OUR number 1 defenseman. He's not yet A number 1 defenseman. As I've said...there's about 4 guys in this league I'd consider #1's. People get so riled up when someone says that, but it's true. If you watch a #1, and then compare Letang to them, you'll more than likely come away saying, "Letang isn't one of those, but he can be."

What Letang's contract will come down to is the following: Is the extra year we can give that no one else can really important to him? Does he see himself here for a long time? Will he take less like the rest of the core did to keep the team together? Does he want to have the 1 bird in hand going into his final year, or does he want to take the risk, play it out, and see what the market holds?

6.25 is really the max I'd like to give him, and honestly, 5.75 is what I'd personally feel comfortable with. I think Ray will find a real creative way to make Kris happy and to keep his cap hit down, mainly giving him the most he possibly can in the front of the deal, along with the 8th year.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote