View Single Post
Old
01-21-2013, 05:57 PM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm just so confused by your argument, JTG. If you think he's a top 10 defender, why shouldn't he be paid accordingly? It makes no sense to me. You are arguing who the best defender is. Nobody will argue Weber is better. But he's a talent you do see on 75% of teams.

So we are downgrading what we need to pay Letang because he's the....7th best defender in the league? What gives? That argument makes zero sense. Or are you basing it on the fact everything should be a tier system like the football draft? Because it's not like that.

Age, potential, worth to team, etc. all play a part and that means Letang deserves upwards to 7.5. I just am not understanding your argument one bit. What he will be paid =/= where he stands in the top 10 list.
His point is that he doesn't fit the definition of a true #1. I could see a scenario down the line where Morrow is our PP guy and Despres, Bortuzzo, Harrington and/or Dumoulin are eating up the PK minutes. Letang at 7 mil in that scenario isn't really worth it IMO. Especially if the cap catches up to us when we're resigning our D corps and raises are due to some key forwards.

But again, you sign him for whatever it takes b/c we have no one to replace him now. And deal with any issues later on.

At least I think that's what he means.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote