View Single Post
Old
01-21-2013, 07:56 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I agree that DSP has been less than impressive this year. And I'm not opposed to sending him down. But the kid is only 20, whatever we do let's not ruin him. Everybody here (including me) had some pretty high hopes for him last year. The coaches need to work with him and if he needs to go down they need to make sure he know what is expected of him and make sure he gets used in Norfolk in the way that will help him work on those things.

DSP is a prime example of why I don't like the idea of rushing these young guys. At that age, their confidence can be fragile. The last thing we need to do is set him (or any of these guys) back or destroy his confidence.
Taking this a step further, consider how DSP seemed to stagnate or even regress. While this certainty not uncommon and is not a sign that he will bust, it isn't a great thing. And you then might ask that if we had sent him down to juniors lady year, might he be better.

Then you should consider that if we decide to go with Rakell over DSP, what's to say that we won't end up seeing the same out of Rakell in a year?

The other side will probably say "well they would still have the sophomore slump, but just one year later." And you know what, that could be right. But the way I see it, there's the possibility of doing permanent damage one way vs just delaying development the other way. I would err on the side of caution.