View Single Post
Old
01-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
See, what I'm trying to say is with this good young core we need a good veteran leadership to help them along. Cole is a great power-forward who does wonders for Patches, Plekanec is a great two-way player and Gionta is all heart with an amazing shot. Cole and Patches have great primary scoring, Gionta and Pleks are great secondary scorers, and we have young pieces like Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Collberg, Hudon and others who could also turn out to be amazing primary/secondary scorers. Our top-six could really be great, and our defense too. I'm kind of scared of our defense as it stands, though.

But if you want that top pick, who would YOU trade away? I totally agree with you that trading a player who won't be here in 3-4 years would be ideal to get a top pick, but NO ONE will trade their first round pick, especially if it is a high one, for an older veteran and nothing else. They will want an established young player and maybe a prospect. I'm not sure who I would give up for that pick, and I sure as hell don't want to rebuild just so I can hope that pick turns out to be a good one.
I'm trying to see this as coldly as possible. In that light, what do we do with our vets? Do we drive them into the ground until their resale value is practically zero, or do we flip them now, while their value is higher? Yeah, it sounds heartless, but the question is how to best use them to improve our 2016 club. Sure, trading them probably won't get us a top-five pick, but one thing is 100% certain: We'll get more for them NOW than LATER.