View Single Post
Old
01-22-2013, 12:54 AM
blink

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
You really think he has the offensive potential of those players? I definitely don't see the JJ comparison anyway.
Yes. Gudbranson's don't grow on trees. We are talking about a rather unique player who can shut the other team down and play solid in his own zone, throw a big hit to change the momentum of a game at any time and then go on the powerplay and unleash his cannon of a shot.

His game needs refinement and obvious further development but what 20 year old NHL defenceman doesn't? There was a reason he played fulltime in the NHL as a 19 year old. Not many defencemen, let alone forwards do that.

Jack Johnson, drafted 3rd overall in 2005, 6'1 231 lbs.
Erik Gudbranson, drafted 3rd overall in 2010, 6'4 201 lbs.

Johnson's rookie NHL season: 74 GP 3-8-11-76 -19
Gudbranson's rookie NHL season: 72 GP 2-6-8-78 -19

Obviously stats don't tell the whole story and granted, Gudbranson and Johnson don't play the exact same style to a tee. I would argue Johnson will be more offensive than Gudbranson but that Gudbranson will be the more complete two-way dman. JJ isn't really all that great in his own end IMO. Gudbranson should be pretty solid.

I could be wrong and maybe not popular opinion but I think Gudbranson has the ability to be something special. Better than Fowler, Gormley and everyone else in his draft class, although Faulk is something special out in Carolina.

blink is offline   Reply With Quote