View Single Post
Old
01-22-2013, 02:33 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I think the Habs could recover to bubble team status as early as 2013-2014 and to contender status as early as 2014-2015.

The Habs have a good "youth" core of Price, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, Eller, Pacioretty. That's not good enough to compete, but it's a good start and a great veteran core of the future.

Our prospect includes Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Galchenyuk, Leblanc, Gallagher, Kristo, Collberg; from that group we'll already have some mild improvement to the roster as early as 2013-2014, and serious improvement by 2014-2015. I don't expect them all to make it, but I listed 8 guys... if 3 or 4 of them make then that is significant. I think that if you add that to our current youth corps, that's enough for a bubble team in 2013-2014, and *possibly* a contender in 2015-2018, that depends on whether or not 3/4 of those guys make it or 6/7. 6 or 7 successes out of 8 is unlikely, hence an outside shot of contenderdom.

Now add:
- Whatever UFA we pick up to replace Cole, Gionta, etc with our cleared cap space; should be a strategic acquisition.
- Our top-5 pick in 2013, say Seth Jones or Elias Lindholm;

Yes, definitely a bubble team in 2013-2014 and a good shot at contenderdom in 2015-2018. Adding Seth Jones means we don't need 6 of the 8 prospects listed above to succeed; we still have that possibility, or we could have 3 of them succeed as well as Seth Jones succeeding, since his ceiling is higher, the end result is better.

The 1st round and 2nd round picks we get for Markov, Gionta, Plekanec, etc are not to form the contender. I think we can have a contender without them... but they will improve the odds. If we draft 23rd overall in 2013 from a trade, that means a good roster player in 2016 in 2017 if we're lucky, which makes our future contender just a little better, like if you added Pacioretty to Los Angeles for example. More specifically, the Kings had Colton Teubert from another team's pick, whom they traded for Dustin Penner, who made them a little better.

The other reason to trade those guys is to open up spots on the roster. There are no rookies on the roster this year, or there will be none after game 5. If you want to have 2 or 3 rookies on the roster, you need to open up spots, we might as well get draft picks rather than let our UFAs walk for nothing. For example, if we lose 3 veterans, we could give two spots to rookies, and 1 spot to a UFA acquisition.

none of the players you've listed will be ready for top 4 D duty, and aside from MAYBE Galchenyuk, none will be ready for top 6 F...

but we'll go from lottery pick to bubble team ?? really ??

that's why it's called fantasy