View Single Post
Old
01-22-2013, 08:47 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
In 2008-09, Gainey wanted to make the playoffs, and so he didn't trade Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay, Komisarek, etc at the trade deadline. He held on to them.

But then we lost them all anyway. Does that mean our young players had no one to learn from? No, because when you have cash you can always sign mediocre players on the UFA market. You can't replace stars, but you can replace 2nd and 3rd line players and 3rd pairing dmen. We got Gionta, Cammalleri, Spacek, Gill, and could have had Gomez for cheaper.

We would have been better off getting draft picks for Kovalev, Tanguay, Koivu, Komisarek and then replacing them, rather than just replacing them without getting draft picks in the first place.

Part of the problem is that this team's luck in recent years is clouding people's opinions.

Do you agree that in any given year, an 8th place team is equivalent to a 9th place team in skill, and the difference is just due to luck?

I bet you do.

We might even agree that the difference between 7,8,9,10 is almost entirely luck. I think it is.

In the post-lockout era, we finished:

2005-06, 8th place
2006-07, 10th place
2007-08, 1st place
2008-09, 8th place
2009-10, 8th place
2010-11, 6th place
2011-12, 15th place

In the years where luck mattered, we were 8th, 10th, 8th, 8th, 6th. Out of those five years, we were lucky 4 times. We got to see the early playoff exits that people think is the apex of hockey. It could have just as easily been 9th, 7th, 11th, 10th, 9th. If we had had that virtually identical result in regular season standings, most of these boards, particularly the people who just react to life rather than taking a step back and thinking and being active agents in life, would likely be in favor of a proper rebuild. Their minds are clouded by the fact we were lucky. We didn't need to be in 8th place for 3 years out of 6. The same exact teams could have just as easily finished in 9th, and if that **non-structural** change had happened people would have different opinions.
Agreed. I think you misunderstood my post. And you know my position on the rebuilding question. When I wrote that finishing 8th does not get you top picks, and then: 'get used to it', I should have written 'Understand this.' I was trying to say that finishing 12-15th for a couple of years is not fun, but is required.