View Single Post
Old
01-22-2013, 09:55 AM
JohnLennon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
To me, this is a 4 phase project.

Phase 1: Basically trying to get through this season with a lot of bandaids without ruining any of the future doing so (which is in part why I want both Gally's sent back to HAM/Sarnia) and potentially having a monster draft with a high pick and a trio of 2nd rounders. Trade some expendable some vets for picks/prospects at the deadline.

Phase 2: Integration of the first wave of kids (Galchenyuk-Gallagher-Tinordi-possibly 2013 1st rounder if we're picking really high, etc) and hopefully at least battling for a playoff spot next year. This phase could possibly extend into 2014-15 depending on progress of the first wave of kids and what we do in summer of 2014 with our cap room.

Phase 3: Tons of cap room opens up in summer 2014 as mentioned, giving us the chance to make a strategic addition or 2, second wave of kids (Beaulieu-Collberg, etc) should be ready, further maturation of the Price-Pacioretty-Subban young veteran core and the first wave of kids (Galchenyuk-Gallagher-Tinordi-possibly 2013 1st rounder, etc) quickly emerges into solid pieces (especially Gally into a #1 C) and we're seen as a team on the rise.

Phase 4: Further progress from the first and second wave of kids, adding a final piece or two.
I agree with this 100%, and with some free agent acquisitions as well as mid-level trades for prospects and picks along the way, this could have huge success. This is the kind of hockey logic I am talking about. No one minds trading expendables and even an effective veteran or two for a great return that could help us in the future. By doing this and drafting well, this team could be a real juggernaut within a couple years.