View Single Post
Old
01-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Stephen23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFNHL PIT GM View Post
Someone is going to have to explain to me how Luongo's contract can be considered anything except one of the single best contracts in the history of the NHL cap era.

I mean, did they not just outlaw it from ever happening again? They did this because its bad for the team or because it gives the team an unfair advantage?

Clearly because it gives the team an unfair advantage. I fail to see how having a contract on the book that gives your team an unfair advantage for 10 more years can be considered an anchor as i have seen it called.
Maybe if Luongo was in his twenties, it would be. But Luongo is in his mid-thirties with 10 years remaining. To take on Luongo at his age and with a 10 year contract is a HUGE commitment from a team. And teams that have a goalie in the pipeline would basically be telling that goaltender that they have no future with their club. Also, most teams already have an established starting goalie, or what I eluded to, have a goalie in their pipeline that is waiting in the wings. Examples of this is Washington (Holtby) Florida (Markstrom) and Tampa Bay (Vasilevsky)