Thread: Speculation: Nino seeking trade?
View Single Post
Old
01-22-2013, 01:46 PM
kasper11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Granted, he hasn't exactly proven too much on his own, but can you really blame Nino? The Islanders arguably destroyed his development by stashing him in the pressbox/fourth line half the time just to stay above the salary cap. At some point the Islanders need to realize that there are very, very few Crosby/Stamkos/Malkin/Tavares type of players to come along whom you can just stick on NHL ice and see instant results automatically. We saw it with Josh Bailey first (although he has managed to become a decent player) and now Nino. And of course, when I say the "Islanders" need to realize this, I mean Charles Wang. No number of draft picks and no move to a new arena is going to solve stupidity.
Destroyed his development? As a 20 year old he is 5th in goals and 10th in scoring in the AHL. His development seems to be on schedule to me. In fact, you could probably make an argument right now that being with the Isles last year helped more than being in juniors would have. Maybe being exposed to the speed of the pro game was what he needed most.

Add in the fact that he got paid an NHL salary last year (not sure how much bonus money he got), burned a year of his entry level deal, and I don't really see how he can be too pissed off about last year.

If this story is true, the only explanation is that he feels he has earned a spot on the Isles. I think most of us would disagree.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote