View Single Post
Old
01-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
Burning a year of his ELC isn't just about cold hard cash (the Golisano/Quinn concern), it's also about sound and responsible cap management. In order to build an elite team in this NHL, especially with the cap coming down considerably, you need young guys on super-cheap contracts. It's just good business sense.

Basically if they think there's a very low chance they win anything this season with or without Grigs, and that playing in the Q won't be overly negative for Grigs' development / playing in the NHL won't be overly positive, you could argue the smart thing to do is to send him back down no matter what and buy an extra season of him at a crazy-cheap cost.
I think your overvaluing one year on Grigorenkos ELC contract. Even if he does stay and kicks in year one, it is just a year earlier that he will earn a million or two more. As of now we aren't even at the cap so I don't think it's that crucial that we "save" the 1st year of his contract for an 82 game season.The way I look at it, he has been better then a few of the forwards out there and makes our team better. I see no reason he should be sent down, if anything he should be getting Folignos minutes on the 2nd unit PP... I have not been impressed with Foligno at all, I think Grigs has looked much better.