View Single Post
Old
01-22-2013, 04:30 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
What you say is the Detroit model is not the Detroit model. A model is the way a team is built and managed. What you are talking about is drafting specifically, nothing else, and even then that isn't the Detroit model.

What you are explaining is how Detroit has great drafting, and that is but a portion of the Detroit model. I definitely think the Habs have a possibility to match Detroit's drafting techniques and success, and have been as of late.
We'll see how fabulous the Detroit model is in the next few years.

They have 3 cups in 20 years I think, 2 with former 1st overall Steve Yzerman, and 1 with Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg, all of whom should have gone 1st overall or close to it. However, all of those players are in decline right now.

Unless they nail the UFA market or acquire another lucky draft success, they are going to fall to bubble team status, maybe even lower. At that point people will see the much vaunted Detroit model for what it was: luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
The Detroit model that I think the Habs need to strive for is maintaining a healthy and effective management group, build around a great core of star players, draft well in all rounds, develop prospects as best we can and most importantly, get beyond stellar coaching. Detroit is the class of the league in the manner of how they compose themselves and run their organization, and if the Habs used that club as a role model I guarantee we would have more success.
There's no contradiction between any of that and rebuilding.