View Single Post
Old
01-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
So his play the other night and his gw against Boston in the po have convinced you about his worth. Very small sample size. He was milk carton material for just about the entire regular season last year. GMGM bought into Ward and overspent for him purely on him having a good run during the playoffs in 2011.
So what convinced you otherwise? His 20 point regular season playing a 3rd/4th line role on an offensively dysfunctional team? What, you thought we brought him in to be a 40 point winger?

The things he does well, and the things he did well before you even knew who he was convinced me about his worth. A smart coach can use him to tilt the ice against superior players without them knowing what's coming. Trotz did it 3 years running. Ward is possibly the best board cycler in the league. He's great at anticipating broken plays and capitalizing on them (which is what his game 7 winner was all about). He's also the only one who has demonstrated a desire to go to the net this year (Wolski's odd forays aside). He also has pretty much no hesitation in playing his admittedly limited game, which is something we desperately need more of. Look at his goals from the last game. He went to the net and drove the puck in without hesitating while everyone else on our team was too busy meditating on whether John Lyly was more underrated than Nathaniel Hawthorne. I'm worried that Brouwer is gonna become a primadonna who thinks he's a skill player (since he's now paid like one) and stop driving the net/playing a trollish game (much like Laich since getting his contract). Chimera is great at doing things at top speed but useless otherwise. Put him with Hendricks and Beagle/Perreault (whoever's hot) and give them 13-14 minutes a game you'll see an incredibly effective line.

If we eschew Ward and go with a pure rushing, lower effort game we might coast more through the regular season but the smackdown we'd face in the playoffs will make the Tampa series seem even.

Just look at the sample lineup you posted. If that doesn't scream "please be gentle before you push it all the way in" for the playoffs, I don't know what does.

Last edited by Halpysback: 01-22-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote