View Single Post
01-22-2013, 05:47 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
fair enough but other then carter they were not top 15 picks

we have in recent years had a few top 25 picks(some we traded away) and yet none even closely resemble the talent of richards or giroux.
Which validates my original point... Flyers have assets that Red Wings do not possess... mostly because of (as proven) worse draft picks.

1. Flyers had more top 15 picks and drafted good players
2. Flyers have more assets
3. Holmgren has luxuries Holland simply doesn't have due to Red Wings overall success.

DRWs are victims of their own success and salary cap. Not much you can do other than draft the best you can, be patient and hope to pick up some FA pieces along the way.

There are a few choices Holland made in the past that, in hindsight 20/20 that were not great, but not devastating. Holmgrem made some bad decisions along the way but has more assets to cover up the mistakes. Holland has maintained a strong team while Holmgrem is still trying to achieve success.

All in all, I doubt anyone could have done a better job than Holland has done the past 5 years. My guess is if Holmgren was GM in Hockeytown, he would have traded away key players away prior to winning the 2008 cup... because he is that "aggressive".

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote