View Single Post
Old
01-22-2013, 06:07 PM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrBender View Post
What about his time with the Caps & Penguins? At one point he was on the same line with Sid the kid! If he didn't excel playing on that line, then you have to wonder. Everyone keeps saying, give him a chance etc. What do you call that? Racking up points in the AHL is no small feat. But doing it at the NHL level is another story. You only need to be a millisecond slower to find yourself on the outside looking in. Look at all the players who have had great careers, putting up big numbers in the AHL, but were never able to stick in the NHL. Some end up going overseas in order to make more money. When you start comparing 3rd/4th line players you usually have a log jam of players who can fill the spot.
I'd like to see the ice time with Sid the Kid....however, your point is well taken, and I'd say the odds are against him but as of right now he will never have a better chance to succeed. He's on a very good team, is getting a legit shot on pretty strong all-around line for people (Claude, Chia, Sweeney for three) that want him to do well.

I have no complaints with his play and its kinda fascinating to watch along with the game knowing who he is, and his resume. He was a high second rounder, has done well in the AHL, so he does have some things in his favor.

One other thing, Caron has been kind of been the guy in waiting, but he has been grossly outplayed by Bourque these past 3 months- and as crazy as this sounds, Bourque in my viewing has been the more aggressive, tougher, and certainly more consistent player. Caron has been Glenn Murray like in his demeanor without the high end offensive skills. Other than that Caron has been fine