View Single Post
Old
01-22-2013, 07:06 PM
eklunds source

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
A few biases in the way you wrote this

1 - You're only talking about Minnesotas second half of the season. The first half they were one of the best teams. You can't just isolate the parts that support your argument. The biggest sample size we have from last year is 82 games, and over 82 games Minnesota got 81 points and finished 12th.
Minnesota's record through 28 games was a house of cards and their demise was completely predicted. They were getting badly outshot on a regular basis, and they were getting better goaltending at even strength than Tim Thomas had in his record year. Minnesota was 12th in the standings but they were the worst team in the league. Vancouver won the President's trophy; do you think they were the best team? No.. because they weren't. A team's record is not the 100% accurate measure of how good a team was.

Quote:
2 - Penguins added Lemieux. That's your argument? Lemieux put up 22 points that year... Adding Crosby to a dead last team isn't the same as adding Suter/Parise/Granlund to a 12th place team
The Penguins added Crosby, Gonchar (at the time, had 7 straight 50 point seasons), Leclair, and Palffy.

Quote:
3 - Vancouver was 18-5-1 against the NW last season...the division they had their best record in, which also happens to be the division they had the most games in. Yes, they were (and are) a good team, but the Presidents trophy was essentially the byproduct of eating up a terrible division. NYR for example had to play against Pittsburgh, NJ, and Philly in their division, all playoff teams. Put NYR in the SE division last year, and how many points do they get?
The Canucks were, by my guess, somewhere between 5th and 7th in the league last year. I'm not crowning them the best team in the league though they were 1st.

Quote:
And like I said. I think Vancouver should win the division, I just wouldn't be surprised to see Minnesota take it.
I'd be very surprised if Minnesota makes the playoffs. So much so that I bet against it..

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote