View Single Post
Old
01-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Youth isn't everything. Barring serious injury, the best players last much longer than average players. Being "stuck" with veterans depends on who they are.
not sure what longevity of career has to do with improving the team ?

just because a guy avoids injury, and finds a niche role that allows him to stay in the league for 700-800+ games, doesn't mean he's a key piece of the puzzle for building a contender.

i fully get, and agree with, the need for some veteran leadership, but looking back at the last 5-6 cup winners (Kings, Bruins, Blackhawks, Penguins, Red Wings & ducks), each of them was led in large part by players under 30yrs old (especially up front).

of those teams, there really weren't many 30+ players who you would really consider "key" impact players... Chara/Thomas (Bruins), Gonchar (Pens), Lidstrom (RedWings), Selanne/Pronger/Niedemayer (Ducks).

I don't think anyone, "tanker" or not, would be arguing for the Habs to trade away any players of the caliber of those listed above for picks/prospects.

I think the point is finding a way to land a player or two that can become that kind of elite talent and play for us for the next 2 decades.