Thread: Proposal: Nino Niederreiter Offers
View Single Post
Old
01-23-2013, 12:03 AM
belair

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
Why do the Isles add? Peckham doesn't bring much more than Martinek/Carkner/etc, and the Islanders have a glut of D-men in the prospect pool. Don't need another depth d-man. As for Paajarvi...just not interested. He couldn't stay in the line up in the 29th place Oilers last season, isn't putting up the stats in the AHL one would expect of a player of his pedigree which is disconcerting. Furthermore, considering how often I see Paajarvi (and Gagner for that matter) thrown into Oilers trade proposals, I've got to think they are just the scraps of the Oilers. This trade doesn't address any Islanders needs...at all.
They add for two reasons.

Firstly, if it's a depth player, it's because I'm not sure where the Isles 50 man roster stands after adding a new player every day via waivers.

Secondly, and more importantly, there is no guarantee that Nino is going to be any better than Magnus Paajarvi at this point in time. Besides being a year younger and being drafted 5 spots earlier, Nino's game obviously hasn't translated as well as Paajarvi's at the NHL level. So their value's pretty much par at this point IMO.

Like I said, I'd never expect them to move a highly touted prospect like him. And the fact that they denied him a trade is a good decision on their part.