Old
01-23-2013, 01:33 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
You are missing the point JG is vastly out performing Conacher at the same age and while weighing less is the same height if not taller (depending on who you ask) means that he could out perform him at the next level. I never said St Louis is the rule but in the new nhl small players are not that uncommon ( Desharnais, Atkinson, Conacher, Ennis, Schwartz, Granlund, Marchand, Baertschi, Brunner, Read,etc) thats not to mention player that have been in the league for years (Gionta, St Louis, Roy, Cammalleri, Whitney,etc). The game is changing into JG's favor he has high end hockey IQ and hands he has the skill of the top prospect if the only thing that separates him from other top prospects is an inch and 20 pounds then I think you are looking for reasons to hold him back.

Button's list isn't the norm but there is no reason to say it is any less valid as he may see things others don't and vice versa.
Desharnais has one good season, Atkinson and Conacher are hardly established in the NHL. The other guys are good prospects or NHL players that have had a solid year or two. The common thread among every single one of them mentioned? They are all bigger than Gaudreau. The most generous estimation of his size I've seen is 5'8" 153. I've seen him play, he's 5'7" at most. The lightest guy among those you mentioned is at least 15-20 pounds heavier than Gaudreau, which is a huge difference. Nobody that is that small has had the impact in the modern NHL that people project Gaudreau will have.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I've seen Gaudreau play, and he's a great player. His vision, anticipation, and hockey IQ is great. But people seriously need to stop trying to justify him as a guaranteed hit prospect. He's a good, legitimate, quality NHL prospect. He is not the god you paint him out to be.