View Single Post
Old
01-23-2013, 08:52 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Hey guys, Lightning fan here. I come in peace, don't shoot!

Just wanted to thank you guys for all the questions you answered for me during the summer about going to a game in Raleigh. My son went last night and had an awesome time. He's been to a lot of hockey games in a lot of arenas and could not stop raving about how enthusiastic and NICE Canes fans were, even after the game. Kudos!
Glad you guys had a good experience. One thing I honestly like about our fans (or at least the ones inside the arena) is that they can be passionate without being outright hostile.

Anybody see the Lightning fans in 312 who got kicked out 5 minutes into the game? I wonder what happened there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath
You know Eric Staal set up him up for a tap in and he whiffed in it and rang the post on another open chance....seems like he's fitting right in.
I couldn't believe that miss. The hockey equivalent of missing a layup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I guess this is as good a place as any for this but does anyone know why they don't call double minors on plays like boarding anymore? I know they used to in the 80s and early 90s but I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a double minor for elbowing or something like that. (Not high sticking). It seems like a logical way to call a play like Malone's hit on Staal which wasn't quite worth a major and a game but certainly is worth more than a standard 2 that you can get by someone falling over your stick.
There are no double-minors for boarding. The only penalties that allow for double-minors are high-sticking, spearing, butt-ending and head-butting. In the case of high-sticking, an injury MUST result in order to call it four minutes. With the other three, you get 4 for an attempt and 5 for a successful blow, with a match penalty for injury.

I don't remember when or if these standards changed. But they kind of tie the refs' hands with regard to calling 4 minutes, which is why you hardly ever see it except for cases where a high stick draws blood.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote